PI First Name:
PI last name:
Area/s of Research:
We propose to review existing information and write a report for general readership that will inform managers, decision-makers, and the general public about global and regional oil and gas platform decommissioning and reefing.
The report will provide a synopsis of available information on platform decommissioning and the concept and use of the reefing option within a global and regional context. In addition, the report will provide reference to multiple sources in a format and style applicable to a broad readership with an emphasis on the West Coast and California. It will inform the basis for evaluating potential environmental effects of platform structures on regional marine ecology and consequences to their eventual removal. The report will thus help to inform managers, decision-makers, and the general public about global and regional oil and gas platform decommissioning and reefing.
- Describe decommissioning practices within a global and regional context(s).
- Describe reefing practices using decommissioned platforms within a global and regional context(s).
- Describe the concept and potential of fisheries conservation and restoration using decommissioned platforms.
- Describe decommissioning and reefing practices for the State of California.
- Synthesize relevant information from reports, existing peer-reviewed papers, and grey literature into a single report/reference/publication for general use.