PI First Name:
PI last name:
Area/s of Research:
Deepening our understanding of consumer preferences, substitution patterns, and demand for optimal
On behalf of the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy, the Consultant will be responsible
for writing a Blue Paper on Future Prospects of Food from the Sea. At a minimum, the Blue Paper should
address the following questions:
- What would an analytical regenerative/sustainable ocean protein supply curve look like? (Feasible production volume and cost of a number of different protein types/classes, for each major ocean area (e.g., Tropical East and West Pacific, North Atlantic).
- What are the structural barriers preventing change: markets (e.g., entrenched rents, subsidies), policies (e.g., subsidies, open access laws, restrictions on aquaculture), consumer preferences (e.g., bluefin sushi), fishing culture, etc.
- What are the interactions with other (terrestrial and marine) markets (substitution patterns, competition, etc.)?
- How can incumbents as well as low‐scale fisheries transition towards more sustainable protein/food?
- How can consumer preferences around more sustainable protein/food be transitioned?
- How can this alternative protein production contribute to SDG 2 (Zero Hunger)?
- What institutional changes are needed?
The Consultant will engage the HLP Secretariat during the research and writing process, and adjust
contents based on feedback. The Blue Paper should be between 20-30 pages in length (excluding
references, in Word, single spaced, 11-point font), as well as include full references and citations. The
Blue Paper shall be prepared in accordance with recognized scientific and ethical principles.
In some cases, the Consultant shall be responsible for sub-contracting co-authors to assist with providing
the Services, as appropriate. In these cases, the Consultant shall be responsible for ensuring each author
assigned to provide the Services has the appropriate qualifications and agrees to comply with the
confidentiality provisions and intellectual property herein. Consultant shall be responsible for the
performance or actions of any additional authors with respect to the Services.